Translate

Tuesday 6 November 2012

Ecuador expat crime safety guide

Ecuador expat Safety and crime guide.
Every country has its own crime, whether it is being robbed, burgled, fighting, etc. I know back home that certain areas are terrible to be in, let alone live in, but this can all be avoided if you understand what to do and what not to do. OK, you are a tourist, and you do stick out like a sore thumb. Try to blend in; it's not a fashion show. Try to keep jewelry down; no big medallions, fingers full of rings or the latest tag watch, or you will just attract attention from passersby. If someone says it is dangerous to walk down that road at night, then do not do it. I made that mistake once and was close to getting robbed. The guy had a gun, but my friend came to the door in time and told the guy I was OK, to which he walked on and said adios! But if you feel the need to, then by all means, go with a few people , just never on your own!

Now, in England, we do not carry guns for self-defense, but some Americans do, so I would advise that weapons will not help you here. Chances are, you will be the person who gets locked up for shooting someone or letting off a round. No one wants to be robbed. I have been told that if someone tries to rob me, just let them do it and they will be gone. Everyone is different, so all I can say is that I wouldn't let someone do that to me.  So it's your call what you do in that kind of situation. 
money. If you are going shopping, don't put all your money in 1 purse. If you get pick pocketed, that is it, cards gone, money gutted!

Money belts I don't like them as you look shifty every time you are sorting the money out. Put money in a few pockets, spread it out, or if you are wearing socks,it is the perfect spot. If you are using public transport, be alert to what is going on. It happened to me in Quito. I was waiting to get on the electric bus when I was pushed onto the bus. There was a big rush of people pushing to get on. I didn t think anything of it. Everyone either sat or held onto the bar, at which point a man holding a plastic bag was looking very nervous and sweating. As I looked at him, the bus stopped. He got off. I checked my pockets My wallet had gone very sly indeed,had all my cards, cash, etc., and was a total nightmare, but lesson learned: keep valuables safe or get a chain that ties your wallet to your jeans, if you know what I mean.

So pickpockets are very clever and work in groups along the electric car route,
You hear about people being kidnapped and killed, etc. I wouldn't think much of that. Yes, you are a target if everyone knows you have money and thinks they could make money from this. It is very rare. Ecuadorians are really nice people, but like most countries, you always get a few idiots. Recently, there were two kidnappings here, but they were on Ecuadorians and had to do with money, drugs, and, of course, a woman. There is always a reason over here; just don't give people the opportunity.

Chances are you will never see a crime in your life over here, but just be aware that is the best way I can advise, although a Dutch lad once told me that if you walk past people looking slightly angry, chances are you will never be harassed. Works for me, no trouble at all. 

Don't be put off by the security here, guards with guns outside shops, banks, and on the streets, etc. You should feel safe.

Finally, if you are asked to read something on a bit of paper or are close to an ATM and people try to chat, walk away  ignore the person or be quick about your business. There is a drug over here made from a flower. If sniffed, you can have short-term memory loss but be under control. If someone asks you to do something for them, i.e. get them all of your money out of the atm, you will never know that you have done it.

This goes for bars and nightclubs too. Don t accept drinks from strangers and don´t leave your drink unattended. Simple rules really. Other than this security briefing, I guarantee you will love this amazing country and never see any of the above!

No comments:

Post a Comment