Translate

Tuesday 6 November 2012

Owning a Car in Ecuador

Hi guys, sorry it´s been a while. A lot has happened since my last post. I have a baby boy now and have my residence all sorted. Life is looking good! 
Anyhow, the subject I am going to talk about today is cars Owning a car in Ecuador, where to buy, dos and don'ts, prices, and so on. Ok, the first car I bought here was a 1998 Ford F150 truck. 
owning a car in ecuador guide to buying cars


I paid just over 9 grand for it at 190,000 km. Not bad for over here, but painful since I know it's not worth half that. 
The reason being, prices of cars in Ecuador are ridiculous, all to do with tax and import charges etc. I bought the truck from Quito, a place in the south where everyone goes to on a weekend to sell their car. My brother-in-law took me over, I had a look and just had to buy it. I recommend that you travel if you have the opportunity; I only purchased it because I was living in Quito at the time. 


When paying, a bank transfer is the most common method of purchase. Only do this after you have been to a notary. They check all the documents of the owner and car and also your details, such as passport, etc., or cedula if you have one. The cost is normally 25 dollars and you have to pay for this, not the owner of the car. A police check is 5 to 10 dollars, but it's worth the money and your own piece of mind knowing the car is OK. A mechanic would be a good idea. They would also check compression, oil, etc. so you don't waste your money on crap. 
When you have done that and are happy, then buy it.

Owning a car in Euador
There are many ways to buy a car in Ecuador. A couple of websites: 
If you go to www.mercadolibre.com.ec or www.olx.com.ec, you will get a rough idea of the prices on there, but always go for the haggle. You're likely to get 1 or 2 grand deducted. Don't settle for the asking price!  If you are reading this post and it is 2022, then the Facebook marketplace is the best place to search these days. Local newspapers are great as you can get a good deal. Oh, and if you are buying around Christmas time, then I would say that is the best time as most people are desperate for money. If you're lucky, a car worth $10,000 could be yours for $7,900 or less! 

I sold the truck after a year and a half and made the money back, so no losses. not very child-friendly, hence the downsize. It is now a vauxhall corsa c 1.8 or over it is a chevrolet corsa evolution. Prices are daft. I could probably get 3 or 4 in England for the price of 1 over here, but this car is very easy to sell. all Ecuadorians love the corsa There are a lot of them on the road, but selling a truck is a little more difficult; it took me three months. 
Anyhow, any feedback on events in Ecuador, feel free to post them. This is what it's all about. Thanks, hope you enjoyed Owning a car in Ecuador

No comments:

Post a Comment